Rental Resources

Persons who are paid or otherwise compensated to rent property and negotiate and sign leases for the owner fall within the definition of a broker under Wis. Stat. § 452.01(2). This statute states that a broker includes “any person who for another, and for commission, money or other thing of value, negotiates or offers or attempts to negotiate a sale, exchange, purchase or rental of an interest or estate in real estate.” This definition includes persons negotiating the terms of a rental interest in real estate. If the negotiation of lease terms or the drafting and signing of leases for another is involved, licensure is required. A property manager who signs or negotiates leases on behalf of a property owner must either be a licensed broker or be a licensed salesperson associated with a brokerage firm. Brokers also must have proper agency authority — typically a Property Management Agreement, a WB-37 Residential Listing Contract — Exclusive Right to Rent or an Exclusive Listing Contract Right to Rent Commercial Property — to provide property management services.


WRA legal resources

Wisconsin residential rental statutes and rules

HUD guidance for use of criminal records in tenant screening

DATCP resources and fact sheets  

Updated WRA forms (2018)

Revised forms:
  • WRA Residential Lease
  • WRA Residential Rental Contract
  • WRA Rental Disclosure
  • WRA Property Management Agreement
New form:
  • Amendment to Residential Lease or Residential Rental Contract

WRA forms and products

Apartment associations

NAR resources

Federal rental housing information

Farm lease information

Copyright 1998 - 2023 Wisconsin REALTORS® Association. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy   |   Terms of Use   |   Accessibility   |   Real Estate Continuing Education